Maryland $3,000 Excise Tax Credit for Plug-in Electric Vehicles
You may be eligible for a one-time excise tax credit, up to $3000.00, when you purchase a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle. Effective 7/1/2017 through 6/30/2020, an individual may be entitled to receive an excise tax credit on a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle regardless of whether they own or lease the vehicle. Business entities may also qualify for the tax credit on up to ten vehicles.
- The criteria for a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle are as follows:
- The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways.
- The vehicle cannot be modified from the manufacturer's specifications.
- The vehicle must be a new vehicle and titled for the first time on or after July 1, 2017, but before July 1, 2020.
- The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale.
- The vehicle must be capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
- Has a total purchase price not exceeding $60,000
- Has a battery capacity of at least 5.0 kilowatt-hours
- Credit request received are subject to the availability of funding and will be processed in the following amounts:
- $100 times the kilowatt-hours of battery capacity of the vehicle.
- Vehicles with 30 kilowatt-hours and above will only qualify for the maximum allowed of $3,000.
- If you have purchased a plug-in electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer will assist you with completing the proper form for the tax credit, you may download the Excise Tax